WASH and Food security emergency intervention

WASH and Food security emergency intervention

LIVELIHOOD PROJECT

Since 1991 most of the Somali population have been facing challenges in lives impacted by conflicts, recurring drought, famine, out-break of diseases and floods. In most cases these led emergencies and death of vulnerable people. Most of those who fell victims in such calamities are women, children under five years and lonely elderly people.

With its mission to achieve its organizational objectives “committed to creating a solid foundation for the health, education and development of the Somali community through promoting excellence in their livelihoods”, New Ways Organization empowers youth by extending vocational skill training to male and female youth from most vulnerable households.Selection of trainees is based on vulnerability of households with 80% from IDPs and marginalized communities. The remaining 20% normally come from vulnerable host communities.

Skills are provided based on employment opportunities available locally. The curriculum used meets the basic training needs of the unemployed youth. While undergoing skill training, trainees receive monthly household food through food vouchers.

These livelihood programmes address both the immediate household’s food need and the long-term food security of the household. Food received through food voucher covers household’s food requirement during the training period.Youths who acquired skills secure jobs and are able to provide for their households.

Voucher for training for Banadir region: the overall objective of the project is to restore and rebuild lives and livelihoods and improve resilience that is in-line with WFP strategic objective (SO2), Enhancing medium and long-terms resilience in vulnerable communities through VFT interventions. It’s supported by WFP Somalia program. This is the 2nd phase of the project. 1ST phase started in 2014.     Project locations: WADAJIR AND Bondera districts in Banadir region.

New Ways has, since 2014, furnished skills with over 1100 youth of whom 60% were female. The skills acquired by the youth include carpentry, electrical skills, cookery, tailoring, garment/clothes dying and basic mechanical skills among others.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shares